Title

With the onset of February we are getting a little busier. 2nd, Protest The Hero, 6th Del Amitri, 9th Molly Hatchet, 14th Monster Magnet, 15th Dream Theater, 19th, Sons Of Icarus, 20th Skyclad, 25th Soulfly, 26th Cadillac Three

And maybe a couple more to be added.

Sunday 20 November 2011

Smashing Pumpkins @Birmingham Academy 19/11/2011

There are 20,000 songs on my ipod. I own roughly 8000 CD’s.
But not one of those songs or CD’s is a Smashing Pumpkins one –which rather begs the question of how I found myself to be at a Smashing Pumpkins gig.

The answer is a simple one. At the start of the year I decided to try and go to a gig a week. Largely I have done this. There have been only five weeks this year where I haven’t seen a band (it would have been four, but Eddie Spaghetti was called off after the riots).

When this gig went on sale I didn’t have any other gigs at the time and my brother was a Pumpkins fan a few years ago so we decided to go.

Whilst I wasn’t a fan as such, I did have some knowledge of the Pumpkins. I liked “Siamese Dream”, I liked “Mellon Collie….”So a glance at the setlist for tonight’s show meant I was a little unprepared – there were around 20 songs played and I knew about four.

This wasn’t a help.

The second thing that put an immediate dampener things is the Academy itself. We decide to give the first band a miss (my love of avant garde pop isn’t too big and that what they are billed as) meaning that by the time we get to the balcony we can’t see a thing.

There is a third problem. The crowd. The audience isn’t my usual gig-going brethren. For a start there is almost no one wearing a gig T-shirt for the Pumpkins. For a second thing the only two shirts for other bands I can see (apart from my AC/DC 09 shirt and my Brother’s Wildhearts hoodie) are a Dandy Wahols shirt and one of those Zeppelin shirts they sell in Top Shop. Frankly we are a million miles from the metal I understand.

But what of the show itself. Well, to be honest it was ok. I would be lying if I said I enjoyed it – it is difficult to enjoy something you just don’t know. The band play well, although Billy Corgan is an odd frontman – he never speaks to the crowd apart from in the encore but as always when you go and see a band on spec there are two possible outcomes: one is that feel like you are at a party somewhere you don’t belong and the second is that you get into it and have a great time. “Tonight, Tonight” – to borrow one of the songs I do know - is definitely the former.

There is a brilliant encore of “Zero” and “Bullet With Butterfly Wings”  during which the Pumpkins sound great, then, after two hours 15 very long minutes its over.

Not an experience I will repeat too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment